Just when you thought Dodge couldn't possibly one-up the famed Challenger SRT Hellcat, it proves their internal horsepower war is real with the limited release of the 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon.
If you're waiting until 2019 to buy a new Challenger SRT Demon - don't - because 2018 is the only year this car will ever be produced.
The Demon makes 808 hp and 717 lb-ft of torque on 91-octane pump gas, or 840 hp and 770 lb-ft on race gas, from the supercharged 6.2-liter V-8. According to Dodge, 62 percent of the Demon's engine is new compared to the Hellcat's powerplant. Also new is the option to purchase the Demon Crate, which is included with this vehicle, and houses skinny front tires for the drag strip, a performance powertrain control module that unleashes all 840 hp on race gas, a conical air filter, passenger mirror block-off plate, two valve stems, and a tool kit for track use. What does Dodge promise with the addition of this kit and a fully-prepped track? Wheelies. Yes, Dodge claims the Demon can not only pull the front tires, but run a 9.65-second quarter-mile. A feat no other production car can accomplish. Aside from the Demon Crate, this vehicle was optioned with front and rear leather seats, Alcantara steering wheel and a Harman Kardon sound system.
This low-milage Demon was purchased as lot number S107.1 through Mecum Auctions in Kansas City in March of 2018. This particular vehicle nabbed the auction’s top honors as the most expensive car sold throughout the weekend, mostly likely due to it's menicing looks and low production number of 543 out of 3,000 ever produced.
If you want to own a piece of automotive history, or just have a multi-record- breaking, street-legal, wheelie popping production car, this 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon is the vehicle for you.
Not convinced yet? Here are some wild facts straight from Dodge:
- 800 feet into a quarter-mile run, the Demon V-8 would empty all the air in the cabin of the Dodge Challenger SRT Demon - 105 cubic-feet.
- Demon V-8 cooling system rejects 258 kW of heat at rated power - that would boil 1 quart of water at room temperature in 1.2 seconds. The heat rejected is equal to 250 electric toasters.
- At rated power, high-octane fuel flows at 1.36 gallons per minute. Typical shower head flows at 2 gallons per minute.
- On each power stroke, piston and connecting rod is loaded with 11 tons of force - equivalent of 5 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demons. This happens more than 50 times a second @ 6,300 rpm.
- Torque Reserve and TransBrake combined generate 317 lb-ft. of incremental torque, for total launch torque of 534 lb-ft.
- The driveline sees 11,164 lb-ft. of ring gear torque at launch. Results in a 1.8 g launch.
- More than 1 ton (2,500 pounds) transferred from front to rear wheels at launch.